Saturday, April 16, 2011

Blog #6 - Final Reflection

Finally the end of a semester and although I've spent only a year here, ES2007S has been the most interesting module I've had and also very useful. Being the youngest one in the class, I thought initially I should have taken something else and saved this for my final few years. But I've learned so much over the past 4 months and even though it's been a lot of work, I now have a long time to improve on my communicating skills and when I finally graduate all that I have learned from this module will be of great use.

This module I know will be benefit in the long run but I'm not going to be facing any interviews any time soon, I do not need a good resume now I still believe me perform better here. At the start my english was good, better than most Indians but I've always had a problem when it comes to writing. I'm used to writing using the simplest language possible and in school it was fine but in college it clearly is not enough. This module has really helped me realize how far behind my writing standard is compared to others, especially during the proposal. Now usually that would make me upset but I can now look on the bright side, I've discovered my weakness very early on and have enough time to take up courses and work on it. I really have ES2007S to thank for that.

Also I really have to give a shout out to Brad, he is so far the best teacher I've had. Never had a subject, which if not done just right can be incredibly boring been so interesting and I am so glad I've had him as a teacher.

I'm only finishing my first year so I obviously have a lot to learn but in these past 4 months I have learned so much, not just from Brad or the course itself but also everyone in class. I've identified my strengths and weaknesses and I now know what I have to work on and in 3 years time, when I graduate if I land a great graduate school, I;m sure I'll have ES2007S to thank.

14 comments:

  1. Hello Uttara, I agree that this is the best module in NUS. At least you chose this module in your first year and now it has equipped you with the neccessary skills to be prepared for your FYP in the forth year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Uttara! I thought you were really brave to attempt this as a year 1! And even though you're the youngest, it didn't affect you in your ability to shine and speak well! :) I though you did really well on many aspects and it's been really nice having you in class! :) Good for you that you managed to pick out your strengths and weaknesses so early on! Really hope that you do well in your future endeavors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Uttara!

    Let me say as someone who knows exactly what you have to look forward to in the next 3 years, you don't have much to worry about. Civil engineering is a great place to be. Plus we are 7th in the world!!

    Definitely some of the things you've learnt in this module would be useful. In the coming semesters you'll find that you have to make several presentations. Interestingly some of them would concern large infrastructure projects, much like what you did for this module with your university proposal. Then you'll understand why Mich and I were so harsh on you when you suggested that it would cost $15 million.

    Overall its been really nice knowing you. Choose your FYP carefully yea... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, Uttara, as you mention in this reflection, the fact that you took ES2007S in your first year is commendable. The amount of work required is huge with a very intense pace, and the expectations put on students by me and by classmates is very high. In your willingness to speak up in class and in your approach to completing the various "products," I can see how much effort you made and how, even when there was a struggle, you persisted (generally with a smile). Doing that much while also adjusting to life in the university is no small feat. Still, as you also mention in the post, through this process your (and each person's) strengths and weaknesses become apparent. It is the work that begins now that will really advance your cause.

    Thank you for all your contributions. I wish you the best with that as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Uttara,

    I admire your confidence in speaking up during class. I must say you have drastically improve as a professional communicator over this period. All the best for your next 3 years in university. I am sure you will excel.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I think the module had been fun, you gotta agree that lots of fun takes place outside of class time too! I really enjoyed the LOOOOOOOONG lunch we had after the last lesson. And I'm so glad that you were part of the lunch gang! =) It'll have been better if we got to interact with each other a little bit more, don't you think? =)

    No worries. Hopefully, people will organise lunches even next sem or two sems later. It'll be a waste if the friendships built over this module lasts only for one semester! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree with Faizal. Civil Engineering is a great place to study in, especially when we're 7th best in the world. It's not as boring as it seems.

    Yup, in 3 years time, when you get to do your FYP, just remember to ask around and choose it wisely.

    Coming back to the topic, I felt that you have a natural ability to speak well. You just have to translate them into writing.

    All the best. You have a long road ahead of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Uttara!

    I think the class is really blessed to have you, because you always bring us your rich experiences from India, which I love to listen to! It's been great knowing that the module was really benefitting for you! I hope the past one year in Singapore has been great for you! All the best for your next 3 years in NUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Uttara, I'm glad to have known you from this module. It's really not often that I befriend an Indian and hearing about the experiences that you've mentioned in class has really expanded my cultural awareness. It's only been a year for you in NUS and I'm sure you'll have great wonderful years in the remaining years so all the best in your studies :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Michelle and Faizal : Thanks for the civil input, I really needed it. It's been great knowing you. Haha 7th ?? That's better than I expected. Actually that 15mil question was helpful, I know I won't make that mistake again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Adeline, Mabel, Paula and Eunice : Thanks for the comments :) I really hope I can meet all of you soon.

    @ Edwin: Yeaah! the lunch was awesome, we should really meet more often, But hey at least we got to work together on the mock interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Brad : Thank you for everything, I honestly did not know what to expect when I took this module and did not expect this much work but I;m glad I did take it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yea, the mock interviews! Haha! where you were supposed to be the b....

    ReplyDelete